Monday, October 19, 2009

I hate losing bets.

No, Hell hasn't frozen over.
Gopher Bandana Guy is not a Badger fan now (or ever).

Learn well friends - when you make a bet with a Badger fan, be careful on the stakes you set. I felt like the Gophs had as good a chance to beat Wisconsin as they've had in the last 3-4 years a few weeks back, and I put my fashion-sense where my mouth was. The idea of getting a Badger fan in the always elegant Maroon & Gold was simply too tempting. These pictures are the result of my foolish pride.

And yes, its every bit as jarring and discomforting to wear that color red in public as you might imagine. I had to wear this clown outfit for approximately 2 shame-filled hours last Friday. I don't welch on bets, and I consider myself to be a good sport, so I took it all in stride while being showered with compliments about "how good I looked in red" for the evening. Luckily I was a debtor to decent fellow and friend (Roger Murdock from "Looks like I Picked the Wrong Week to Quit Blogging"). He was decent about the whole situation, and didn't parade me around the bar or anything (thanks for that Rog).

On the plus side, I did get a prime opportunity to exercise my Bret Bielema impression, and his mastery of the apparent alphabetical wonder to him that is the letter 'W' (just an upside down 'M' folks).

One other positive, a week later Murdock went to Vegas and bet on some football games. He liked the +15 points the Badgers were getting vs. OSU - and lost. I asked him to put some $$$ down on the Gophers to cover the -3 against Purdue for me. He agreed, and liked that bet enough to place one for himself as well. Nothing like a Gopher victory to hedge a Badger fan's gambling losses!
All things considered, I'll still make this bet with Murdock next year. The prospect of seeing him with a Ski-U-Mah t-shirt on is just too tempting.

3 comments:

Roger Murdock said...

I always thought the "M" was an upside-down "W". Do they dust those empty trophy cases?

Gopher Bandanna Guy said...

You'd think that, but you see, 'M' comes before 'W' in the alphabet. Sequential logic.

Just Jake said...

Empty trophy cases? Last time I checked the Gophers own 7 National Championships -- (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_National_Football_Championship)