Thursday, September 30, 2010

Northwestern @ Minnesota (the Wildcat Angle)

The Wildcat - Photo by JT
As last season, we tried to get some opposing fan perspective here at GEGH when we can.  Not from some other blogger or program insider, that's been done (head on over to The Daily Gopher to read about bloggers fraternizing with other bloggers).  I go for the regular fan perspective here. This week its my good friend and Northwestern alum, TKL.  In addition to using this blog as an opportunity to poke fun at us Gopher fans and our hapless team, TLK will be providing us with his impressions of our new home for on-campus football as he's headed up to Minneapolis to see the game in person.  Here's what our alum friend had to say (for at least as long as his computer would function):

My first trip to the Bank is coming up this weekend, and I can’t wait.  I just hope the chill in the air does not dampen the fun, as I know the Gophers won’t have it in them to accomplish that.  Oh, immediate shot across the bow? Youbetcha, but in all honestly the Gophers have to be better than a loss to a (albeit pretty dangerous) FCS team and one of the Directional Illinois teams over the past few weeks.  From what I've seen, this Minnesota squad looked liked they had some game in them; and fully ready to pull the upset against SC last week, only to come up a bit short.  But you don’t need me to tell you this. This fine Blog here no doubt articulates this fact much better than I.  My take - the 2010 Gophers resemble my laptop right now. . .in desperate need of a re-charge and/or new power source.

So - on to your guests from Evanston this Sat at TCF Stadium: the Northwestern Wildcats.  A fancy team, though I must admit, I haven’t actually laid eyes in person on this year’s 'Cats. While I am a season ticket holder, I've been waiting for the better home match-ups of the Big Ten later this season.  My first game at venerable Ryan (ne Dyche Stadium) Field comes the following week against the injury decimated Purdon’t Boilermakers.  And of course, the final game of the season to be played at historic Wrigley Field against the hated Fighting Illini.  So from the safety of the perch on my couch, they have looked pretty good so far.  Yes, there is no other way to describe a 4-0 season; however I know that things can get away from a previously unbeaten team quickly once Big (12) Ten play begins.  That is why the Wildcats (and Gophers) will be hungry to starts things out right against an opponent that they have a fair shot at defeating.
(The old 2007 Dell is chugging along here. . .just might make it.)

A little primer on the Wildcats: Dan Persa-another in the long line of very capable if not outright great Northwestern quarterbacks.  His favorite connections are Drake Dunsmore, Jeremy Ebert (GBG's fav), and Sidney Stewart,.  The running game is not so hot, although I hear the Gophers are susceptible to the ground attack. The master of the sub-3.0 yds/carry stat Arby Fields and Stephen Simmons will take a backseat to Mike Trumpy (nephew of NBC’s Bob Trumpy of 'Criqui and Trumpy' broadcast fame) who will get the start I believe.  Unless Coach Fitz goes with Jacob Schmidt instead--well, who am I kidding, this backfield is filled with below average backs.  The passing game and the fleet feet of Dan Persa will be the difference.  Kicker, Stefan Demos is solid despite his woeful bowl game performance at the Outback Bowl last year.

On defense, the Cats will be . . . ahhhh no more power. . .signing off before my computer dies. . .Wildcats Win and cover, 27-21.  You can take that to the Bank.

So there we have it, a respectful level of trash talk from an NU fan who shockingly didn't want to talk defense...err... who's computer died.  Good stuff buddy, enjoy your time up in Minneapolis.  

No comments: